A plan is underway to rebuild an ancient statue known as the Colossus of Rhodes.
The project was put in motion by a small group of scientists who suggest the statue will boost tourism and create jobs in the process.
Due to its enormous size, the statue was called Colossus. However, the statue itself represents the city’s of Rhodes’ Titan god, Helios (The sun-god and the sun). The original statue stood at the coastal entrance of the Mandraki Harbour located in Rhodes, Greece (thus the name, “Colossus of Rhodes”) for 54 years until it was destroyed by a massive earthquake in 226 BC.
The epigram on the original statue read:
“To you, O Sun, the people of Dorian Rhodes set up this bronze statue reaching to Olympus, when they had pacified the waves of war and crowned their city with the spoils taken from the enemy. Not only over the seas but also on land did they kindle the lovely torch of freedom and independence. For to the descendants of Herakles belongs dominion over sea and land. “
Helios is the Greek sun-god and the sun itself. He is equated with the Roman Sol. Helios drives a chariot led by four fire-breathing horses across the sky each day. At night he is carried back to his starting place in a great divinely wrought cup. In Mimnermus (fl. 37th Olympiad; Ionian Greek poet), Helios’ vehicle is a winged, golden bed. From his lofty traveling vehicle, Helios sees everything that happens during the day, so he acts as tale-bearer to the gods. Those who worshipped Helios, often sacrificed white horses to him. They burned incense and created altars for their sacrifices.
As if it could not get any worse, the new plans call for an ever bigger and more grandiose abomination. At 400 feet tall, the new Helios will be four times the height of the original. The proposal also includes an interior library, museum, cultural center, exhibition hall, and, a crowning lighthouse that will be visible for 35 miles.
Who hath formed a god, or molten a graven image that is profitable for nothing? -Isaiah 44:10 (KJV).
The group explains that they will use modern construction techniques and technology to make the new statue “earthquake-proof.” The exterior would be completely covered in golden solar panels, making it entirely self-sufficient.
It’s estimated that the project can be completed in three to four years at a cost of 240 to 260 millions euros ($264 to $286 million). Funding is expected to come from cultural institutions and international crowdfunding.
In addition to renewing and extending Greece’s tourism season, the statue’s construction would bring much-needed jobs. Whether or not this will all come together depends on how much support and money the team behind the plan can raise. No construction dates have been released.
Their land also is full of idols; they worship the work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made: -Isaiah 2:8 (KJV).
Sharing the name of the abominable statue, The group maintains a website called “Colossal Rhodes,” An excerpt from the website reads:
The project was born in the ideas, the expectations and the hopes of some young professionals from different European countries: Greece, Spain, Italy and UK. The prefixed aim was an ambitious one: building a modern Colossus of Rhodes, following 21st –century standards, a contemporary 150-meters-tall building which would be used as a cultural center, as a library an exhibition hall and a lighthouse.
The site listed the following two videos that explain the project in detail.
Aside from the fact that this statue is a revival of “sun worship,” from the pantheon Babylonian era, it contains a rich and biblically connected past. Taking place in Greece, which represents the “bronze” portion of the statue mentioned in the second chapter of Daniel. This story is a piece of the prophetic end-times puzzle and most definitely a sign of the times. It is Babylon rising.
The Helios statue is a metaphor associated with King Nebuchadnezzar’s Dream, and was the center of provocation to God’s anger against the Babylonians, and King Nebuchadnezzar. Remember his punishment? and as we all know, Babylonia will be subject to God’s wrath during tribulation.
HISTORY of the STATUE
The time is Bronze age, Greco-Macedonia. Hellenistic era. The Rhodians, erected the statue during the reign of Seleukos son of Nikanor, successor of Alexander the Great.
The original statue or as I call it, “the abomination” was considered one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World due to its menacing height. The statue had been built, as a sign of worship and a token of thanks to the Greek gods for helping Rhodes’ win the victory over the ruler of Cyprus, Antigonus I Monophthalmus, whose son unsuccessfully besieged Rhodes in 305 BC.
Made of iron and bronze, Helios once stood at a staggering height of 98-feet (30 meters) tall, making it one of the tallest statues of the ancient world. The statue was built by Chares of Lindos, a native, who apparently by historical chronicles was familiar with crafting abominations like this before.
19 The workman melteth a graven image, and the goldsmith spreadeth it over with gold, and casteth silver chains.20 He that is so impoverished that he hath no oblation chooseth a tree that will not rot; he seeketh unto him a cunning workman to prepare a graven image, that shall not be moved. -Isaiah 40:19-20(KJV).
Chares interestingly enough was also a student of the sculptor who designed and crafted the abominable statue of “Zeus.”
Costing 300 talents, construction of the Helios statue began in 294 BC, and would take nearly 12 years to complete.
For 54 years, this abomination sat near the harbor of Rhodes, that is, until it was struck down by God.
And, behold, here cometh a chariot of men, with a couple of horsemen. And he answered and said, Babylon is fallen, is fallen; and all the graven images of her gods he hath broken unto the ground. – Isaiah 21:9 (KJV).
In 226 BC, an earthquake, notably recalled by historians as one of the worst quakes in human history, rocked the isle of Rhodes. The city and its statue were destroyed. The abomination broke off at the knees, sending the upper torso toppling to the ground. According to historians, Ptolemy III of Egypt offered to reconstruct it, but an oracle by the Rhodes advised against it.
Thy graven images also will I cut off, and thy standing images out of the midst of thee; and thou shalt no more worship the work of thine hands.-Micah 5:13 (KJV).
Strategically located in close proximity to Asia Minor, Middle Eastern and African trade routes, Rhodes was a major Aegean port. Until its demise, it had been known for many thousands of years as a very rich trading city of the Mediterranean Sea, and the statue stood as a symbol of their great wealth. Due to their significance economically and culturally, quake devastated Rhodes prompted what historians say was “the first example of aid being delivered to a city/country by many parties.” The earthquake was so massive, it caused the island to rotate, and has since been subject to much geological study.
Rhodes is part of the plate tectonics of the Mediterranean Sea and specifically lies on the boundary between the Aegean Sea and African plates. This is one of the more complex seismic zones of our world as there is thrusting, extension and strike slip faulting and the island is undergoing a counter-clockwise rotation due to these stresses. Apart from these stresses the island has also been subjected to being tilted to the Northwest in the Pleistocene.
A clear indicator of God’s wrath!
21 Have ye not known? have ye not heard? hath it not been told you from the beginning? have ye not understood from the foundations of the earth? 22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in: 23 That bringeth the princes to nothing; he maketh the judges of the earth as vanity.--Isaiah 40:21-23(KJV).
24 Yea, they shall not be planted; yea, they shall not be sown: yea, their stock shall not take root in the earth: and he shall also blow upon them, and they shall wither, and the whirlwind shall take them away as stubble.25 To whom then will ye liken me, or shall I be equal? saith the Holy One. –-Isaiah 40:24-25 (KJV).
For nearly 900 years the ruins of the abomination lay rotting in the harbor. But even in its fallen destruction, the massive structure drew curious visitors from all over the world.
“Pliny the Elder remarked that few people could wrap their arms around the fallen thumb and that each of its fingers was larger than most statues.”
In 654 AD, after the Arabs conquered Rhodes, the remains of the statue were broken down and transported to Syria. The statue, purchased by a Jewish merchant of Edessa, loaded the parts on 900 camels.
The same story is recorded by Bar Hebraeus, writing in Syriac in the 13th century in Edessa:[ (after the Arab pillage of Rhodes) “And a great number of men hauled on strong ropes which were tied round the brass Colossus which was in the city and pulled it down. And they weighed from it three thousand loads of Corinthian brass, and they sold it to a certain Jew from Emesa” (the Syrian city of Homs). Theophanes is the sole source of this account and all other sources can be traced to him.
The Arab destruction and the sale to a Jew, bears a strong resemblance story of King Nebuchadnezzar. In Daniel Chapter 2, King Nebuchadnezzar explains a dream where he sees the destruction of a great statue made of gold, silver, bronze, iron and clay:
31 Thou, O king, sawest, and behold a great image. This great image, whose brightness was excellent, stood before thee; and the form thereof was terrible.32 This image’s head was of fine gold, his breast and his arms of silver, his belly and his thighs of brass,33 His legs of iron, his feet part of iron and part of clay. – Daniel 2:31-33 (KJV).
16 And upon all the ships of Tarshish, and upon all pleasant pictures.17 And the loftiness of man shall be bowed down, and the haughtiness of men shall be made low: and the Lord alone shall be exalted in that day.18 And the idols he shall utterly abolish.-Isaiah 2:16-18 (KJV).
The Story of Diana, The Greek goddess of Fertility
In the book of Acts, we are told about Artemis, known biblically as Diana (daughter of Zeus). Diana worshiped at Ephesus (also located in Asia Minor) and elsewhere during the New Testament times. Diana, like Helios, was considered a deity, and was the goddess of fertility. In Ephesus, a temple had been built to honor Diana, replacing a previous one that had been destroyed by fire. The temple, like Helios, is also known as one of the seven wonders of the ancient world. There is also a well-known statue of Artemis ‘the goddess of fertility.”
Apostle Paul directly challenged the pagan worship of such deities as Diana, and it most assuredly incited a mass uprising. In the end, Paul’s message of JESUS CHRIST prevailed, and the cult of Artemis disappeared. Acts chapter 19 tells the story:
23 And the same time there arose no small stir about that way. 24 For a certain man named Demetrius, a silversmith, which made silver shrines for Diana, brought no small gain unto the craftsmen; 25 Whom he called together with the workmen of like occupation, and said, Sirs, ye know that by this craft we have our wealth.
26 Moreover ye see and hear, that not alone at Ephesus, but almost throughout all Asia, this Paul hath persuaded and turned away much people, saying that they be no gods, which are made with hands:
27 So that not only this our craft is in danger to be set at nought; but also that the temple of the great goddess Diana should be despised, and her magnificence should be destroyed, whom all Asia and the world worshippeth.28 And when they heard these sayings, they were full of wrath, and cried out, saying, Great is Diana of the Ephesians.29 And the whole city was filled with confusion: and having caught Gaius and Aristarchus, men of Macedonia, Paul’s companions in travel, they rushed with one accord into the theatre.30 And when Paul would have entered in unto the people, the disciples suffered him not.
31 And certain of the chief of Asia, which were his friends, sent unto him, desiring him that he would not adventure himself into the theatre.32 Some therefore cried one thing, and some another: for the assembly was confused: and the more part knew not wherefore they were come together.33 And they drew Alexander out of the multitude, the Jews putting him forward. And Alexander beckoned with the hand, and would have made his defence unto the people.
34 But when they knew that he was a Jew, all with one voice about the space of two hours cried out, Great is Diana of the Ephesians.35 And when the townclerk had appeased the people, he said, Ye men of Ephesus, what man is there that knoweth not how that the city of the Ephesians is a worshipper of the great goddess Diana, and of the image which fell down from Jupiter?
-Acts 19:23-34 (KJV).
As we can see, this pagan greek worship is nothing new and is once again making a comeback from the underworld in a bold and brazen way.. A practice that will not end well, as prophesied in Revelation:
20 And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk: 21 Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts.-Revelation 9:20-21 (KJV).
But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.-Revelation 21:8 (KJV)
From the very beginning of time, God clearly commanded the descendants of Abraham not to have any other gods besides him (Exod 20:3). To this day, the practice of pagan worship continues. It was the cause of Israel’s punishment and exile in biblical days, and it continues to be the issue that plagues the world today. I guess man has not learned from history.
Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen. -Romans 1:25 (KJV).
Every man is brutish in his knowledge: every founder is confounded by the graven image: for his molten image isfalsehood, and there is no breath in them.- Jeremiah 10:14 (KJV).
Come out of her my people!
Flee out of the midst of Babylon, and deliver every man his soul: be not cut off in her iniquity; for this is the time of the LORD’S vengeance; he will render unto her a recompence. -Jeremiah 51:6 (KJV).
My people, go ye out of the midst of her, and deliver ye every man his soul from the fierce anger of the LORD. -Jeremiah 51:45 (KJV).
In the Faithful Service of Jesus Christ,
Join us at: He Is Coming -Are You Ready?
Jesus Christ was born, lived, died, and rose again for the sole purpose of saving us from our sins. Are you saved? The bible declares that “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” – Romans 10:13 (KJV). Salvation is turning your life over to Jesus Christ, believing that Jesus is the son of God, and renewing your mind with his spirit, that is done through repentance of sin, and following JESUS with all your heart, mind and soul. JESUS transforms lives, if you are ready for this life saving step, call upon your savior TODAY! Learn more here.
And Babylon, the glory of kingdoms, the beauty of the Chaldees’ excellency, shall be as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah.- Isaiah 13:19 (KJV).
And the merchants of the earth shall weep and mourn over her; for no man buyeth their merchandise any more:-Revelation 18:11 (KJV).
Woe to the land shadowing with wings, which is beyond the rivers of Ethiopia: That sendeth ambassadors by the sea, even in vessels of bulrushes upon the waters, saying, Go, ye swift messengers, to a nation scattered and peeled, to a people terrible from their beginning hitherto; a nation meted out and trodden down, whose land the rivers have spoiled! – Isaiah 18:1-2 (KJV).
And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will give unto Gog a place there of graves in Israel, the valley of the passengers on the east of the sea: and it shall stop the noses of the passengers: and there shall they bury Gog and all his multitude: and they shall call it The valley of Hamongog – Ezekiel 39:11 (KJV).
For in one hour so great riches is come to nought. And every shipmaster, and all the company in ships, and sailors, and as many as trade by sea, stood afar off, And cried when they saw the smoke of her burning, saying, What city is like unto this great city! And they cast dust on their heads, and cried, weeping and wailing, saying, Alas, alas, that great city, wherein were made rich all that had ships in the sea by reason of her costliness! for in one hour is she made desolate – Revelation 18:17-19 (KJV).
Thy riches, and thy fairs, thy merchandise, thy mariners, and thy pilots, thy calkers, and the occupiers of thy merchandise, and all thy men of war, that are in thee, and in all thy company which is in the midst of thee, shall fall into the midst of the seas in the day of thy ruin.- Ezekiel 27:27 (KJV).
Sadly, throughout biblical history we see numerous stories of people turning from God to worship strange gods. During biblical times, the land of Israel was surrounded with foreigners worshiping their pagan deities. All of which did not bode well and ended with severe punishments by God. There is one true God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. JESUS CHRIST.
And there ye shall serve gods, the work of men’s hands, wood and stone, which neither see, nor hear, nor eat, nor smell.-Deuteronomy 4:28 (KJV).
Ye shall not go after other gods, of the gods of the people whichare round about you; -Deuteronomy 6:14 (KJV).
And it shall be, if thou do at all forget the LORD thy God, and walk after other gods, and serve them, and worship them, I testify against you this day that ye shall surely perish. -Deuteronomy 8:19 (KJV).
Shall I not, as I have done unto Samaria and her idols, so do to Jerusalem and her idols? – Isaiah 10:11 (KJV).
And I will utter my judgments against them touching all their wickedness, who have forsaken me, and have burned incense unto other gods, and worshipped the works of their own hands.-Jeremiah 1:16 (KJV).
Woe unto him that saith to the wood, Awake; to the dumb stone, Arise, it shall teach! Behold, it is laid over with gold and silver, and there is no breath at all in the midst of it. – Habakkuk 2:19 (KJV).
And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead? -Isaiah 8:19 (KJV).
With whom the LORD had made a covenant, and charged them, saying, Ye shall not fear other gods, nor bow yourselves to them, nor serve them, nor sacrifice to them: -2 Kings 17:35 (KJV).
The workman melteth a graven image, and the goldsmith spreadeth it over with gold, and casteth silver chains.- Isaiah 40:19 (KJV).
The bible has a lot to say about pagan gods, idolatry, sorcery, casting spells, fortune-telling, divinations, speaking to spirits,mediums, anyone who conjures spirits, all of which is clearly and without question condemned in the bible – in fact we are told:
- Have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them- Ephesians 5:11 (KJV).
Interestingly, the New Testament Greek word translated “sorcery” is pharmakeia, which is the derived from our English word pharmacy. In the days of Paul, these evil seducers used drugs along with their incantations and amulets to conjure occult power.
Pagan gods and goddesses in the bible:
- Artemis, Diana – Acts 19:23-41 – goddess of Fertility
- Asherah. The book of judges records the apostasy of the Israelites turning to the Canaanite gods. Ashtoreth is a popular goddess in several cultures. Her worship was found appealing by the Israelites shortly after their settlement in Canaan. the pagan practices included worship of the fertility or fecundity “forces/features” that characterized the animate aspects of the created world. Ashtoreth’s popularity among the Phoenicians and other northwest Semitic people were embroiled in society, and still exist to this day. The bible records the confrontation between Ashtoreth and God in 1 Samuel 31:6-10.
- Baal Worship – Baal’s name derives from the Semitic word ba’lu, translated as “lord.” He was “lord” over earth, vegetation, animals, and people. Judges 2:13;37, Baal and Asherah are mentioned in 1 kings 1:1-19, 1 Kings 16:29-34, 2 Kings 16:29-34, 2 Kings 10:18-31. The cult of Baal required animal and human sacrifice, encouraging sex between animals and multiple partners.
- Jezebel used the plan of the Baal temple in Sidon for the construction of a similar temple in Samaria. Ahab agreed and consorted with Jezebel to make Baal worship the main religion. ( 1 Kings 16:29-31 ).
- Baal-zebub, Beel-zebul. Phoenician god worshiped at Ekron in Old Testament times ( 2 Kings 1:2-16 ). Original meaning of the name is unknown but the Old Testament form, Baal-zebub, means “Lord of the flies”;and identified with Satan, the ruler of demons ( Matthew 12:24 ). Jesus’ enemies accused him of casting out demons by invoking Beel-zebul ( Mark 3:22 ) and even of being his embodiment ( Matthew 10:25 ). Jesus, rejecting this nonsense, pointed out that Satan cannot cast out Satan, to his own defeat( Luke 11:20-22 ).
- Chemosh, Dagan – Numbers 21:21-32, Chapter 38, Judges 16:23-24
- Marduk Jeremiah 50:2
- Milcom / Moloch / Marduk – 1 Kings 11:5 1 Kings 11:7 1 Kings 11:33
- Queen of Heaven -Jeremiah 7:18 ; 44:17-19
- Tammuz – Ezekiel 8:1-18
We learn in 2 Chronicles 33:6, that King Manasseh was condemned for witchcraft:
- “And he caused his children to pass through the fire in the valley of the son of Hinnom: also he observed times, and used enchantments, and used witchcraft, and dealt with a familiar spirit, and with wizards: he wrought much evil in the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to anger.”
Paul penned numerous teachings about the evil practices of “sorcery,” and specifically states that the destiny of those involved in such sinful and vile practices will find themselves in the lake of eternal fire:
- “Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20) idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, 21) envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.” Galatians 5:19-21 (KJV).
Fortune tellers, Sorcery, and conjuring spirits were a common practice among the ancient Egyptian cultures:
- Then Pharaoh also called the wise men and the sorcerers: now the magicians of Egypt, they also did in like manner with their enchantments- Exodus 7:11 (KJV)..
- And the spirit of Egypt shall fail in the midst thereof; and I will destroy the counsel thereof: and they shall seek to the idols, and to the charmers, and to them that have familiar spirits, and to the wizards -Isaiah 19:3 (KJV).
King Nebuchadnezzar was also involved in such practices, as was the Kingdom of Babylon:
- Therefore hearken not ye to your prophets, nor to your diviners, nor to your dreamers, nor to your enchanters, nor to your sorcerers, which speak unto you, saying, Ye shall not serve the king of Babylon -Jeremiah 27:9 (KJV).
- Then the king commanded to call the magicians, and the astrologers, and the sorcerers, and the Chaldeans, for to shew the king his dreams. So they came and stood before the king.-Daniel 2:2 (KJV).
Why is it wrong?
For most Christians, it is obvious. Plain and simple, these pagan practices bypass the wisdom and power of our Holy God, and instead seek to obtain “powers” and “wisdom” from satanic forces. James describes such wisdom as “earthly,” “sensual” and “devilish” (James 3:15).
Wisdom is a gift bestowed upon us by our heavenly father, and should never be sought from “devilish and earthly” sources.
- But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.-James 3:17 (KJV),
- Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.-1 John 4:4 (KJV).
In early biblical times, such practices were forbidden and would have resulted in the death of anyone engaged in this abominable practice:
- There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch, 11) Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. 12) For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee- Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV).
Malachi brings a strong rebuke against those involved in this practice:
- “And I will come near to you to judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in his wages, the widow, and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger from his right, and fear not me, saith the LORD of hosts” – Malachi 3:5 (KJV).
We also learn, that not only will paganist practices rise, but there will be a false religious system based on such practices, deceiving all the nations and taking with it, many to hell:
- And the light of a candle shall shine no more at all in thee; and the voice of the bridegroom and of the bride shall be heard no more at all in thee: for thy merchants were the great men of the earth; for by thy sorceries were all nations deceived.-Revelation 18:23 (KJV).
- But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.-Revelation 21:8 (KJV)
- For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.-Revelation 22:15 (KJV).
- Her house is the way to hell, going down to the chambers of death- Proverbs 7:27 (KJV).