If a massive asteroid is hurtling toward Earth and threatening to sterilize the entire planet, blasting it to pieces with nuclear bombs might seem fit for a Hollywood movie. But, it could, in fact, be a viable solution to the potentially apocalyptic event, according to scientists who have studied asteroids and possible solutions to prevent the imminent threat of asteroids impacting Earth.
Nasa and the National Nuclear Security Administration have announced they are now working together on the possibility of destroying hazardous asteroids using nuclear weapons.
There are some strings attached: The interloping space rock would have to pose a definite asteroid threat to Earth in a relatively short timeframe to justify such a drastic option, the scientists said. And blowing up an asteroid runs the risk of creating more debris to worry about later, they added.
If an asteroid was expected to collide with Earth, using nuclear explosives to divert or disperse the hostile space rock could be the best alternative, explained David Dearborn, a research physicist at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, Calif.
“The nuclear bomb is the strongest bomb we know,” said Dearborn, who presented his study last month at the 216th meeting of the American Astronomical Society in Miami, Fl. “It’s about 3 million times more efficient than chemical bombs. The question is how to use that energy.”
And just like the film Armageddon (predictive programming anyone?) – where Bruce Willis flies a space shuttle to an oncoming asteroid to drill a warhead into its core – the nuclear payload could be delivered by rocket.
Just days before the independent celebrity-backed World Asteroid Day conference calling for more action from global governments to come up with asteroid defences, NASA revealed that it was in fact considering using nuclear warheads.
The US space agency says they could be used to destroy an incoming asteroid or comet that threatened to cause major destruction or global annihilation.
It is unlikely NASA would send anyone up, but the remote device would be fired by rocket.
The US space agency is more concerned about medium-sized asteroids and comets of 50m to 170m, hitting us than the larger objects of up to 2.5miles or more wide, which would annihilate populations, as it has tracked most of these and none are set to come near enough any time soon.
However, the smaller ones and large meteors do pose a threat and can arrive unannounced.
A 20-meter meteor exploded above Chelyabinsk in Russia in 2013 completely out of the blue.
It injured 1,500 people and damaged around 7,000 buildings.
NASA has reached an agreement with the National Nuclear Security Administration, part of the US Department of Energy, which seeks to improve national security through nuclear science.
They have been investigating how to use nuclear bombs to deflect comets, asteroids and meteors.
“Often, these agencies focus on their own pieces of the puzzle, so anything that brings them together is a good thing.” – said Bruce Betts, director of science and technology at the Planetary Society
With NASA they hope to map potential threats and work out how to deflect them on short notice.
NASA believes it could blow up a medium-sized rock with a nuke, but fears fragments could fall to Earth and could make the situation worse if it was not far enough away from our planet.
Other options to be explored would be how to use the bomb to change the object’s course instead of trying to annihilate the rock.
But NASA is confident it still has time to develop its deflection strategy.
Nasa scientist Jason Kessler, who runs the ‘near Earth” asteroid programme, said: “The likelihood of something hitting us in the future is pretty guaranteed, although we’re not freaking out that there is an imminent threat.”
In September, Brian Cox said we are at risk of being wiped out by asteroids – and we’re not taking the threat seriously.
‘There is an asteroid with our name on it and it will hit us,’ Professor Cox told MailOnline. In fact, the Earth had a ‘near-miss’ only a few months ago.
‘We didn’t see it,’ says the 46-year-old. ‘We saw it on the way out, but if it had just been a bit further over it would have probably wiped us out. These things happen.’
The bus-sized asteroid, named 2014 EC, came within 38,300 (61,637km) miles of Earth in March – around a sixth of the distance between the moon and our planet.
And it wasn’t the only one threatening Earth. Nasa is currently tracking 1,400 ‘potentially hazardous asteroids’ and predicting their future approaches and impact probabilities.
The threat is so serious that former astronaut Ed Lu has described it as ‘cosmic roulette’ and said that only ‘blind luck’ has so far saved humanity from a serious impact.
Source: DailyMail and Nasa
Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them- Jeremiah 10:2 (KJV).
Fellowship with us on FB at: He Is Coming -Are You Ready?
Jesus Christ was born, lived, died, and rose again for the sole purpose of saving us from our sins. Are you saved? The bible declares that “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” – Romans 10:13 (KJV). Salvation is turning your life over to Jesus Christ, believing that Jesus is the son of God, and renewing your mind with his spirit, that is done through repentance of sin, and following JESUS with all your heart, mind and soul. JESUS transforms lives, if you are ready for this life saving step, call upon your savior TODAY! Learn more here.
There is no way to “prevent” the prophetic destruction of earth or the heavens, much less the judgment that every man will face. There is a way, however, to turn from wickedness and find JESUS CHRIST. There are numerous prophetic scripture that detail the destruction of earth in the bible, and all mankind would be wise to take heed to them:
Behold, the LORD maketh the earth empty, and maketh it waste, and turneth it upside down, and scattereth abroad the inhabitants thereof. 2 And it shall be, as with the people, so with the priest; as with the servant, so with his master; as with the maid, so with her mistress; as with the buyer, so with the seller; as with the lender, so with the borrower; as with the taker of usury, so with the giver of usury to him. 3 The land shall be utterly emptied, and utterly spoiled: for the LORD hath spoken this word. 4 The earth mourneth and fadeth away, the world languisheth and fadeth away, the haughty people of the earth do languish. 5 The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant. 6 Therefore hath the curse devoured the earth, and they that dwell therein are desolate: therefore the inhabitants of the earth are burned, and few men left- Isaiah 24:1-6 (KJV).
It is both tragic and foolish for man to think that there is NO GOD, and that they can escape biblical prophecy. Satan has bewitched many into believing they can escape the wrath of God, by denying the very existence of GOD. He has also made them believe that they can escape death and become immortal. The lies of satan are running rampant, and setting the stage for many prophesied end time events -a FALSE PEACE, the New World Order and the Anti-Christ. I was reminded of these verses after hearing the plans of NASA:
- “He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision”- Psalm 2:4 (KJV).
- ”..keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so-called: Which some professing have erred concerning the faith…”-1 Timothy 6:20-21 (KJV).
- For the day of the LORD of hosts shall be upon every one that is proud and lofty, and upon every one that is lifted up; and he shall be brought low: – Isaiah 2:12 (KJV).
The falling stars/asteroids (wormwood) are all foretold in the bible, and all will bring serious devastation to the earth. I do not believe these will even show up on NASA’s radar, Chernobyl didn’t!
It is foolish for man to think they are smarter and can outwit GOD. WHO CAN STAND AGAINST GOD?
- For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand? – Revelation 6:17 (KJV).
- Who can stand before his indignation? and who can abide in the fierceness of his anger? his fury is poured out like fire, and the rocks are thrown down by him.- Nahum 1:6 (KJV).
- For, behold, the LORD will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire- Isaiah 66:15 (KJV).
- And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, 8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: 9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power – 2 Thessalonians 1:7-9 (KJV).
- For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch- Malachi 4:1 (KJV).
- And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter- Revelation 8:11 (KJV).
- And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth – Revelation 11:18 (KJV).
The simple fact is, to “escape all things” you must have JESUS Christ. It is not the will of GOD that any man should perish, but be restored to him. Jesus does not remember our sins once we are saved and ask for forgiveness. Imagine if this was not offered to us, all of us would be destined to hell. While the world will have the ungodly believing that there is no God, hell, or punishment, scripture warns and teaches us otherwise:
- Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord- Acts 3:19 (KJV).
- Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel? Ezekiel 33:11 (KJV).
- If thou, LORD, shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand? – Psalm 130:3 (KJV).
- But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.- Luke 12:5 (KJV).
- The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance- 2 Peter 3:9 (KJV).
- For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry- Habakkuk 2:3 (KJV).
The earth is dying, it is prophetic, and those who know GOD, know his love but also know what waits for the man that continues to do evil and rebel against him.
- The earth mourneth and fadeth away, the world languisheth and fadeth away, the haughty people of the earth do languish – Isaiah 24:4 (KJV).
- As when the melting fire burneth, the fire causeth the waters to boil, to make thy name known to thine adversaries, that the nations may tremble at thy presence! – Isaiah 64:2 (KJV).
- Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away- Matthew 24:35 (KJV).
- Of old hast thou laid the foundation of the earth: and the heavens are the work of thy hands. They shall perish, but thou shalt endure: yea, all of them shall wax old like a garment; as a vesture shalt thou change them, and they shall be changed:-Psalm 102:25-26 (KJV).
- But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up- 2 Peter 3:10 (KJV).
- Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look upon the earth beneath: for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment, and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner: but my salvation shall be for ever, and my righteousness shall not be abolished.- Isaiah 51:6 (KJV).
He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus- Revelation 22:20 (KJV).