The Order of the Golden River, established in 2009 and headed by Patrick Carberry, was recognised as an official church by the General Register Office for Northern Ireland at the end of last month.
Mr Carberry, who goes by the title Sovereign and Founder and is Northern Ireland’s first recognised Pagan priest, said he had originally applied for official recognition only in order to legally marry people of his faith.
He describes himself as a traditional Celtic shamanic priest and says his true, or spiritual, name is Nighthunter. He gave up his career as a chef to become a full-time shaman and psychic.
In other words, he practices reaching altered states of consciousness in order to encounter and interact with the spirit world and channel these transcendental energies into this world. A ‘shaman’ is a person regarded as having access to, and influence in, the world of benevolent and malevolent spirits, who typically enters into a trance state during a ritual, and practices divination and healing. ALL OF WHICH IS BIBLICALLY WRONG AND AN ABOMINATION BEFORE GOD.
And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead? To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them. – Isaiah 8:19-20 (KJV).
“We can now do hand passings, which is our official belief, rather than having to have a ceremony outside as we’d prefer and then another in the local registry office,” he said.
Mr Carberry, who is based in Glengormley and who has travelled extensively for his beliefs, asked Stormont for permission to be a certified holy man five months ago.
But these two things shall come to thee in a moment in one day, the loss of children, and widowhood: they shall come upon thee in their perfection for the multitude of thy sorceries, and for the great abundance of thine enchantments. For thou hast trusted in thy wickedness: thou hast said, None seeth me. Thy wisdom and thy knowledge, it hath perverted thee; and thou hast said in thine heart, I am, and none else beside me. Therefore shall evil come upon thee; thou shalt not know from whence it riseth: and mischief shall fall upon thee; thou shalt not be able to put it off: and desolation shall come upon thee suddenly, which thou shalt not know. Stand now with thine enchantments, and with the multitude of thy sorceries, wherein thou hast laboured from thy youth; if so be thou shalt be able to profit, if so be thou mayest prevail. Thou art wearied in the multitude of thy counsels. Let now the astrologers, the stargazers, the monthly prognosticators, stand up, and save thee from these things that shall come upon thee – Isaiah 47:9-13 (KJV).
Carberry – whose spiritual or true name is ‘Nighthunter’ – only submitted the application at the end of March.
He said he was “absolutely over the moon” about the result, adding: “I’m still in shock, we were not expecting to be recognised.”
Carberry said his church, which was founded in 2009, needed few facilities as “generally we can use ancient stone circles and are involved closely with nature.”
He added that although his religion has been in existence for some time, he and his followers previously operated underground for fear of prejudice.
Mr Carberry said although his religion did not require a building, as “generally we can use ancient stone circles and are involved closely with nature,” he has been offered the use of a building in Londonderry by a sympathetic supporter.
Since becoming an officially recognised religion, he said that the support had been overwhelming, admitting that he had jokingly queried: “what have I let myself in for?”
The Order of the Golden River aims to further the social acceptance of other belief systems, promote the benefits of holistic treatments, and to assist people suffering from terminal illness.
Carberry made headlines in February after the theft of a Celtic sea god sculpture from a mountainside in Northern Ireland.
He said the theft must be labelled a religious hate crime.
The statue, made by a ‘Game of Thrones’ set creator, prompted a media stir after it was vandalized.
For the idols have spoken vanity, and the diviners have seen a lie, and have told false dreams; they comfort in vain: therefore they went their way as a flock, they were troubled, because there was no shepherd. – Zechariah 10:2 (KJV).
The six-foot statue of Manannán Mac Lir, a sea deity in Irish mythology, was stolen from Binevenagh Mountain near Limavady in County Derry in January and replaced with a crucifix bearing the words “you shall have no other gods before me.”
“If a pagan stole a statue from a Christian church and left a pagan one in its place it would make world news,” Carberry told the Londonderry Sentinel.
Police have not yet dismissed the possibility there could be a religious element to the crime, according to local media reports.
The creator of the statue is John Sutton – the man behind the sets of the popular HBO series ‘Game of Thrones’. Sutton said he was “disturbed” by the “unreal” theft.
Join us at: He Is Coming -Are You Ready?
Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils – 1 Timothy 4:1 (KJV).
But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction – 2 Peter 2:1 (KJV).
For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect -Matthew 24:24 (KJV).
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry – 2 Timothy 4:3-5 (KJV).
And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of. And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not- 2 Peter 2:2-3 (KJV).
While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage – 2 Peter 2:19 (KJV).
”..keep that which is avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so-called: Which some professing have erred concerning the faith…” (1 Timothy 6:20-21 KJV).
The bible has a lot to say about Sorcery, casting spells, fortune-telling, divinations, speaking to spirits,mediums, anyone who conjures spirits, all of which is clearly and without question condemned in the bible – in fact we are told:
- Have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them- Ephesians 5:11 (KJV).
- And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead? -Isaiah 8:19 (KJV).
Interestingly, the New Testament Greek word translated “sorcery” is pharmakeia, which is the derived from our English word pharmacy. In the days of Paul, these evil seducers used drugs along with their incantations and amulets to conjure occult power.
We learn in 2 Chronicles 33:6, that King Manasseh was condemned for such evil practices:
- “And he caused his children to pass through the fire in the valley of the son of Hinnom: also he observed times, and used enchantments, and used witchcraft, and dealt with a familiar spirit, and with wizards: he wrought much evil in the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to anger.”
Paul penned numerous teachings about the evil practices of “sorcery,” and specifically states that the destiny of those involved in such sinful and vile practices will find themselves in the lake of eternal fire:
- “Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20) idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, 21) envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.” Galatians 5:19-21 (KJV).
Fortune tellers, Sorcery, and conjuring spirits were a common practice among the ancient Egyptian cultures:
- Then Pharaoh also called the wise men and the sorcerers: now the magicians of Egypt, they also did in like manner with their enchantments- Exodus 7:11 (KJV)..
- And the spirit of Egypt shall fail in the midst thereof; and I will destroy the counsel thereof: and they shall seek to the idols, and to the charmers, and to them that have familiar spirits, and to the wizards -Isaiah 19:3 (KJV).
King Nebuchadnezzar was also involved in such practices, as was the Kingdom of Babylon:
- Therefore hearken not ye to your prophets, nor to your diviners, nor to your dreamers, nor to your enchanters, nor to your sorcerers, which speak unto you, saying, Ye shall not serve the king of Babylon -Jeremiah 27:9 (KJV).
- Then the king commanded to call the magicians, and the astrologers, and the sorcerers, and the Chaldeans, for to shew the king his dreams. So they came and stood before the king.-Daniel 2:2 (KJV).
Why is it wrong?
For most Christians, it is obvious. Plain and simple, these pagan practices bypass the wisdom and power of our Holy God, and instead seek to obtain “powers” and “wisdom” from satanic forces. James describes such wisdom as “earthly,” “sensual” and “devilish” (James 3:15).
Wisdom is a gift bestowed upon us by our heavenly father, and should never be sought from “devilish and earthly” sources.
- But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.-James 3:17 (KJV),
- Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.-1 John 4:4 (KJV).
In early biblical times, such practices were forbidden and would have resulted in the death of anyone engaged in this abominable practice:
- There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch, 11) Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. 12) For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee- Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV).
Malachi brings a strong rebuke against those involved in this practice:
- “And I will come near to you to judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in his wages, the widow, and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger from his right, and fear not me, saith the LORD of hosts” – Malachi 3:5 (KJV).
We also learn, that not only will paganist practices rise, but there will be a false religious system based on such practices, deceiving all the nations and taking with it, many to hell:
- And the light of a candle shall shine no more at all in thee; and the voice of the bridegroom and of the bride shall be heard no more at all in thee: for thy merchants were the great men of the earth; for by thy sorceries were all nations deceived.-Revelation 18:23 (KJV).
- But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.-Revelation 21:8 (KJV)
- For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.-Revelation 22:15 (KJV).
- Her house is the way to hell, going down to the chambers of death- Proverbs 7:27 (KJV).